My Red Bench and I! Our story together started a little over two years ago, as I wrote about last summer in “From Trash to Treasure“. I was wishing for a bench and found this one standing on the street waiting for the garbage man to pick her up. I just knew this bench was meant to be mine and now I can’t even imagine our garden without her!
But she has been standing outside Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring now for the last two years and her paint was starting to chip and she generally need a little tender love an care.
My idea was to sand her down little, using normal sand paper, and then just give her a new coat of paint. However at some point I decided to take my darling boyfriend with me to our local hardware store to get the supplies I needed (HUGE mistake), and before I could stop him, was he insisting on asking a very helpful handyman for instructions on how to best restore my bench… I tried to reason with him and I tried to tell him that we didn’t need to do all of that and I also specifically told him that I would not do all that work myself. He went on to tell me that this would be the best and only way to save my bench (and I do love my bench, so it was hard to disagree with him at this point) and then he promised me to do all the sanding himself. Oh, well, let’s just say that my “let’s not put that much work in to it” plan went down the drain and in came a multiple step plan instead!:)
Step 1: Sand down all the old paint. And with “all the old paint”, I mean two think layers to red lacker and two think coats of primer. Oh, and who is this person in the picture with the sander…? Doesn’t look much like my darling boyfriend does it!? 🙂 Yes, it didn’t take long before this suddenly was once again, just my project to finish.
It was all supposed to be so easy with our new PSM 18 LI Bosch Cordless Sander. This little tool is super handy and I can imagine that for smaller home repairs or sanding down unfinished wood, it will be the perfect tool. However with these think layers of paint, this job was taking forever and the tool started show wear really fast.
And of course it didn’t help that we started this project in the beginning of May, a month so full of bank holidays that you end up never getting get any work done. And why is that you ask, well, it’s so here in our little town in the south of Germany, that on Sundays and on other religiously related holidays, you are not allowed to do any type of noisy work in your garden and that included my sander. So every time I had a day off and time to get to work on my bench done, I wasn’t allowed.
But after 3 weeks of hard work and hours of fighting agains red dust from the sander (I recommend using protection glasses and a face mask when doing work like this, because this dust ends up everywhere), had I finally stripped down almost the whole bench (I decided that some parts, mostly the dry ones underneath, I would just paint over) and was finally read for the next step in this lengthy process.
Step 2: One coat of a Sealant that’s meant to protect the wood from all the wear and tear our four seasons brings along with them. This was the funniest material to work with, it felt like I was painting with milk!
Another project finished, but our garden still needs a few changes before it’s ready for summer, so on to the next project we go!